Monday, March 30, 2009
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
5. The day Bye Bye Birdie opened at my Highschool- I played Kim McAfee- thought i was already on Brodaway!
4. NEw Years Eve 2000- Toomers Corner Auburn, AL- The Auburn Knights Orchestra was performing, Clarke was singing, I was surrounded by my best friends.
3. Flotilla 2008- Spent the day with my sisters, the husbands, and the boyfriend floating lazily down a creek-like-tide-pool-thing that ran almost a mile down the beach.
2. The birthday of Sally Beck-- the worlds most perfect niece.
1. YESTERDAY. Last night to be specific, was the best part of the Best Day of My Life. Thats the day I found out that my sister is PREGNANT AGAIN!!!!! I'm gonna be an Aunt Fabulous AGAIN!!! Can you believe it? I can't wait to get home and see my sister and yell and scream and jump around... maybe she will have a boy this time...oh who cares! Its gonna be another baby!! We are so lucky.
So get ready- many more pregnancy updates to follow as we start this next awesome chapter in our lifes. . .
And while we're at it, lets look at the world's most fabulous niece one more time.....
Friday, March 20, 2009
I'm trying some new editing techniques with my pictures (if you can call retouching in Picasa editing.. I really need to be using photo shop for these, but am too sick of sitting in front of a computer by the time i get home from work...oh stop complaining, aunt Fab!) I am so inspired by this one photographer in particular- Mrs. French of the blog Bliss.
You can view and purchase her photography here and here.... What I love about her pics are the colors. They are faded and brilliant at the same time- How does she do that? She shoots mainly nature which I also really dig- and again, her COLORS are FABULOUS. I am seriously contemplating these three images for my personal collection:
1. life's a....
5. tied up
Yes, I know that was more than three. Once I got started choosign my favorites I just couldn't stop! Hey, my birthday is coming up.....
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Please watch and enjoy the Fantastical Story of Brummie the B-hamster......
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
We were strolling in the park one day and stumbled across the perfect platform-stage-type-area.... now you know a bunch of performers cant resist a stage, so what did we do? The husband jumped up on the "Stage" and the rest of us (Carrie Sweet George, Sam George, and me- aunt fabulous) yelled out famous statues and monuments for him to re-enact.....impromptu improvisation... LOVE IT!
(Beloved symbol of Birmingham and the nation's iron and steel industry- and the world's largest cast iron sculpture!)
Friday, March 13, 2009
Why all the nostalgia? I missed cousins weekend this year. 3 years ago the cousins decided we needed a weekend just for us- away from the "adults". And its an effort to continue this tradition of getting together year after year, even after all the "adults" are gone. And Its another excuse to eat drink dance sing dress up in costumes and wet our pants. I hate that i missed all the fun...but this crap economy wouldn't allow a weekend away.
So, here are my fabulous cousins (with The Grandmother), all on our best behavior cause we just got out of church.... don't let anyone fool you- these people are FREAKS! and I LOVE THEM!!!!
Thursday, March 12, 2009
This week i am devoting my afternoons to working on the design for my friend Jason's new restaurant in Athens, AL- The Limestone Tavern. He asked me to/is letting me design the facade and create the logo which i'll paint on the front window.... I am having SUCH a great time! I found a photo of the place online and i am playing around with it in photoshop- changing the color of the brick and all the trim to reflect the new design. Jason has no idea I am doing all this, so Sunday, when we drive to Athens to check it out in person, I am gonna "present" my design to him... I think hes gonna freak! In a good way! Heres what the place looks like now-
When I'm done its gonna look like a modern take on an old fashioned tavern-- think Irish Pub meets...... well, I don't yet know what the Irish pub meets. But, trust me, its gonna be fabulous.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Anyhoo, I really just wanted to give y'all something nice to look at and to highlight the talented artist who created these beautiful little flower people. Her name is Elsa Mora, and she is amazingly gifted. She draws, she creates papercut sculptures, she works with porcelain, she makes toys, jewelry, clothing, and doll houses.... oh, and she walks for autism. Please go visit her blog and her etsy shop.... enjoy!
Monday, March 9, 2009
But what is the film about, you ask? You will have to wait and see. The judging is on Wednesday- so Thursday I will post the film right here!
And what did i give away this weekend? Well, I am having an issue with the 29-gifts challenge. I'm starting to feel like a braggy-pants, always talking about the nice things i'm doing for others. SO. I'm not gonna talk about it anymore, I'm just gonna give and have it be my own personal challenge. What really got to me was the "community" at 29gifts.org. I kept posting my "gives" on my little blog at that site, and people were saying the nicest things to me. Things like, "great job, Helen" and "what a nice give!" and " keep up the good work"- and i know it was supposed to make me feel good, (those people are super nice.) but it made me feel...not good. I don't really know how to describe it. I guess i want to say, "don't compliment me for doing something that i should be doing anyway". I don't need to hear, "you are doing such a great job at being nice to other people!" I should be nice to people everyday of my life, whether its a challenge I'm participating in or not. I am doing this 29 day give, but i want it to turn in to a life time of giving. I want to give everyday. And I don't want/need to be encouraged and complimented. So thank you so much all you sweet people who said such wonderful things to me- your encouragement was welcome and appreciated. But no more. By keeping quiet about my gives, I can give more freely, more openly, and more honestly. So look out world- I'm gonna make my mark, anonomously, one gift at a time.
Friday, March 6, 2009
So, to everyone who has never experienced the joy of snow ice cream, I give to you my Clarke's special recipe:
SNOW ICE CREAM
1. Harvest freshly fallen snow in a BIG mixing bowl. Clarke says the best place to get fresh snow is from the tops of cars- although don't take the part thats actually touching the car, just scoop off the top layer. Don't take it off the ground cause you don't know what bird or dog or bear poop might be under that snow...
2. drop a capfull of vanilla extract in the bowl and stir
3. start mixing in a can of sweetened condensed milk - you probably won't use the whole can, but use more than you think you should (i didn't say this was healthy, I just said it was delicious)
4. alternate a few drizzles of condensed milk with a splash of regular milk and stir it around- every so often take a little taste. Some people also like to add a few tablespoons of white sugar, but i think the condensed milk is sweet enough. You may need/want to add another drop of vanilla depending on how much snow you are working with. There is no hard and fast rule to how much of anything you need to add- you are going for the taste and consistency of vanilla ice cream, but its totally up to you how sweet you want this stuff. You know its ready when you can't stop the tasting.......
So, on that very glorious, and very sad winter day in Auburn, AL, my husband (then partner in sinful cohabitation) leapt out of bed and into the snow, and spent the rest of the afternoon delighting in his ice creamy joy. While i lay in the bed and moaned.
I realize that most people give of themselves, their time, and their resources every single day. Its what makes the world go round! But acknowledging the giving, getting outside of my head and consciously thinking, "what am i going to give today?" (even if its just a few delicious nuggets) does a number of things:
1. I have started to react to people differently-- instead of saying, "hey get outta my way, other person!" I'm starting to say, "i wonder if there is anything i can give you?"
2. I have experienced a huge creative surge. I'm actually starting all those craft projects that have been brewing in my head so I'll have more to give.
3. and this may be just because spring is in the air, but I am feeling strangely optimistic....
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Visit the web site if you so desire- check it out for yerself- and start giving! I am gonna do a mini-post everyday with a pic or a story about my gift just to keep me on track. This is gonna be so fun.
Day One: "Ada Bunny" This little cutie was made by me for my girlfriend Amanda's new niece, Madelyn Ada Jacobs.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Anyone remember that art installation in Central Park, NYC called "The Gates"..... We have our own version at the Red Mountain Villas!
This was taken in the back yard of my NEW HOUSE!
These are the steps leading up to my NEW HOUSE! and no, that blurry-ness is not an effect- I had just taken a substantial spill (slippery boots) and broke my fall with my camera.... That blurry-ness is snow tightly packed into the lense area... whoops!
The last time I ever saw my Grandaddy Varner he was in the hospital, sick from cancer. He was wearing a bright red union suit. We all told him he looked so handsome and cheery- just like a cardinal. Now whenever I see a cardinal, I feel like its my Grandaddy, stopping by to say "I love you" and to make sure I'm doing ok.