Friday, December 11, 2009

A little on the Crafty Side.....

I may have mentioned this before, but I have the best in-laws a girl could asked for. This Thanksgiving was spent getting to know my mother-in-laws side of the family a little better and I had such a FABULOUS time! Aunt Linda (mom Williams' sister) is accomplished at all kinds of handwork- crochet, knit, sewing. For example, take a look at the gorgeous curtains she crocheted....



But I found out Aunt Linda also renovated her basement-turned it into a game room. And most recently she redid her bathroom, re-tiled, built an "open shower" ALL BY HERSELF. She has her own wood working shop in the basement with BIG saws, and nail guns, and caulk... I am jealous and she is amazing.

One of my most favorite surprises was finally meeting Uncle Hank, who is married to Mom Williams' baby sister Gene. Hank is pictured below on the porch of a little cottage he built for himself. Its a tool shed, a craft shop, a hangout and so much more. Hank calls it "Margaritaville"

I told Uncle Hank I was making a mobile to give to my Goddaughter Wynne, and he showed me the mobile he is making for one of the new babies at his church... I mean really? Coincidence? Perhaps. Solid proof that I married into the right family? Oh yes. Below are pieces of his mobile- fabulous little dragonflies and a gorgeous branch from which they will dangle. LOVE IT.


My favorite part of Margaritaville are the green doors. And yes, it does say "What would Jimmy Buffet do?" above the doorway. Look closely and you can see Hank has hung all different types of keys on the door frame. See, its the little touches that make me love this so much. Like the license that says "2 Chill".... Hank has a licence to chill....and chill he does.








Aunt Gene is also a force to be reckoned with. The pics below were taken in her sewing room. She works as a seamstress for an interior decorator and she has every color and kind of thread known to man, an industrial sewing machine, a serger, and a hemming machine... I want to sit in Gene's sewing room for a week and just watch her work. I should have taken more pics of the actual room, but I was mesmerized by this little contraption that Hank made. Its a "bench" for all Gene's bobbins- a "bobbin bench"- and the "seat" is lined with magnets so the little bobbins wont' go rolling around. Its brilliant. And very photogenic :)





And here are more pics of the table cloth that covered the "kids table" this Thanksgiving- I am crazy about it!


I was delighted to finally meet everyone on Mom Williams' side, and doubly delighted to find out how much we all had in common. Life is like that, isnt' it? Full of surprises and hidden treasures, if you just open your eyes, open your heart, and have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment